Minor in Black Studies
If you have questions regarding the Black Studies minor or are interested in declaring the minor, please contact Kibby Smith, Academic Advisor, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To receive a minor in Black Studies an undergraduate student must complete the following coursework (minimum of 15 hours):
- BLSTU 1000 Introduction to Black Studies
- Students must take three (3) hours in each of the areas: Black Politics, Arts, Literature, and Culture, Africa and African Diapsora Studies, and Gender, Race, Sexuality, and Class for a total of nine (12) hours.
- At least one (1) course must be 3000-level or above. At least two (2) courses must be 2000-level or above.
- A minimum of 15 credits are required to complete the minor.
- A minimum of 9 hours must be completed at MU.
- A minimum of 6 credits are required at the 2000 level.
- A minimum of 3 credits are required at the 3000 level.
- All required minor coursework must be completed with a grade of C- or higher.
- A minimum minor GPA of 2.0 is required to earn the minor.
- A minor must be completed and awarded at the same time as the MU undergraduate degree.
- Complete the minor form with the department advisor. Then turn the form into the A&S Advisement Center, 107 Lowry Hall for final approval.
- You cannot use the same coursework for multiple A&S minors.
- Minor coursework cannot also be used in Foreign Language Alternative.
- Once an A&S minor is awarded, a student cannot return to MU to complete a major in the same department.